New England Patriots links 3/14/19 – Fans’ faith high in Belichick amidst few moves in free agency
Daily news and links for Thursday
- Kevin Duffy writes the Patriots kicked off the new league year the only way they know how: A free-agent signing of special teamer Brandon Bolden.
- Doug Kyed tells us free-agent WR Adam Humphries stayed committed to the Titans despite the Patriots raising their offer with more money per year and a higher guarantee.
- Mike Reiss breaks down the Patriots’ 2019 free-agent signings: Jason McCourty returns to deep secondary.
- Ryan Hannable explains why bigger Patriots moves may need to wait until internal housekeeping matters are taken care of to free up cap space.
- Matt Vautour finds fan faith in Bill Belichick at a high and no panic at player departures. “Other than the craziest fringes of the fan base, most people just assume the Patriots will figure it out. So far, they always have.”
- Evan Lazar shares five thoughts from free agency: The Patriots remained patient as names flew off the board during the negotiating window, but are moves coming?
- Michael Hurley points out that while NFL free agency is abuzz, the only splash Bill Belichick has made thus far is diving off his boat on vacation.
- Sean McGuire writes the Patriots’ biggest splash this week may be the one that Bill Belichick made diving into the azure waters of Barbados. /Hey, he stole my line...
- Tom E. Curran states that it’s okay to criticize the Patriots, even in the wake of their historic run of success, and their improbable 2018 Super Bowl championship. /Okaayyyy…
- Andrew Callahan sees New England’s offseason continue to point toward a slow, but steady makeover and expects one of the oldest teams in the league to get younger.
- Phil Perry discusses why the Patriots are okay with being the oldest kid on the block.
- Karen Guregian says the Patriots’ AFC East challengers as more interesting but still not worthy.
- Mike Dussault (PatsPropaganda) Patriots make some familiar signings.
- Doug Kyed reports the Patriots are re-signing wide receiver Phillip Dorsett to a one-year contract.
- Tom E. Curran reports that Jason McCourty will re-sign with Patriots, agreeing to a two-year deal.
- Andrew Callahan reports Patriots CB Jonathan Jones receives second-round tender as a restricted free agent.
- Zack Cox reports that New England picked up Matthew Slater’s contract option, ensuring their longtime special teams captain would remain with the team for the 2019 season.
- Michael Hurley writes how the Chiefs were one play away from making the Super Bowl, and then the Patriots broke them.
- Ryan Hannable notes the Patriots reportedly are tentatively planning on having Rob Gronkowski in 2019.
- Ryan Hannable hears that agent Drew Rosenhaus brings up non-football activity options when discussing Rob Gronkowski’s future plans.
- Logan Mullen NFL Rumors: These two teams had interest in Phillip Dorsett before Patriots reunion.
- Zack Cox NFL Rumors: Patriots hosting TE Matt LaCosse on free agent visit.
- Ryan Hannable passes along reports that the Patriots are showing interest in free agent TE Jared Cook, and that former Chiefs DE Allen Bailey is visiting the Patriots today.
- Nick Goss’ NFL free agency winners, losers: Analyzing best, worst contracts so far.
- Jim Hackett continues his series on athletes who cracked the code in Boston sports and figured out how to thrive amidst the pressures of Boston: Rodney Harrison.
- Robert Alvarez (PatsFans) Check out the best 2018 Scott Zolak game reactions.
- Mike Dussault (PatsPropaganda) Foxboro & Friends Live podcast from I Love Boston Sports! Mike and Fitzy discuss the departures of Brown, Flowers, and much more. (50 min. video)